Friday, August 10, 2012

Today's Fashion Flashback -- ANNIE HALL



With seeing so many menswear influences for Fall 2012, I can't help but dedicate today's fashion flashback to the genius in film and in style of Annie Hall, as portrayed by Diane Keaton.  Diane Keaton, herself, embodies menswear chic until today, but what we know of her style goes back to the Woody Allen film "Annie Hall" from 1977.  

If you haven't seen this film, you must see it !  It is a classic, and one of Woody Allen's best films.  It won 4 Academy Awards, including Best Picture and Best Actress in a Leading Role for Diane Keaton.  "Annie Hall" is also considered one of the best comedies in academic circles. 



The character of Annie Hall broke through fashion in the late 70's, introducing to the world that wearing men's clothing can be sexy and quirkyly remain feminine.  Sure, other style icons in the past wore menswear inspired clothing like Marlene Dietrich and Katherine Hepburn, but none is more fun to emulate than Annie Hall's style.  Yes, the style is quirky.  Yes, the style is fun.  And yes, the style is definitely iconic.

I haven't seen the film in a while, maybe 9 or 10 years, but with Fall around the corner, I want to watch it again.  Not only for the fashion but also the rapid-fire, witty dialogue between the characters of Annie Hall and Alvy Singer, a comedian in love with Annie, played by Woody Allen.

If you want to emulate the look, there are two key looks that stand out from the film.  The one pictured above and this one.  Both are easy to copy and/or play with.  What you may need are:

1.)  Button-down shirt.
2.)  Black tailored vest.
3.)  Men's tie.
4.)  Wide-leg khakis (or any khakis really)
5.)  Tweed blazer.

Optional items:

1.)  Bowler's hat
2.)  Prairie dress or skirt
3.)  Cowboy boots

I recommend you shop your closet and see how many items you may already have.  You'll be surprised.  If you don't have a men's tie, shop your local thrift store or Marshalls, TJ Maxx or other discount retailers.  That way, you won't spend an arm and a leg for a silk tie.  Trust me, there are bargains to be had.  Stick with solid colors or more feminine prints like paisley, florals or large prints.  Not only are they more feminine, they are more edgy.  If you find a solid black, silk tie, YOU HAVE STRUCK GOLD !   Not only will it be versatile, it will be something to keep in your closet for a long time, for whenever you want to do the tie thing.  Don't bother buying one specifically made for a woman.  One, it will probably cost an arm and a leg.  Two, it might probably be made of cheap polyester or flimsy rayon.  Three, it's just not as cool as the real thing.

This is going to be fun to mix and play with.  Make the look your own by adding your own touches.  I'm going to add a broach strategically placed on the tie and give it my signature bling -- those that know me, know that I love sparkle and bling !!!  Maybe, instead of the bowler hat, wear a fedora.  Just make sure you look in the mirror before you leave your place, since an accessory like a hat can make or bReak an outfit.

I've done the first look so many times before (my favorite look in the late 90's to early 2000's) that I think this time around I am going to try the even more renegade second look.  I do love my cowboy boots, ahem...  I won't do the hat though, since I don't have a "hat face."

Whether you try this look or not, chances are you'll probably be wearing some menswear at some point this Fall.  I would even put money on that.  I've seen many menswear inspired looks for Pre-Fall and Fall, so expect to see more posts on menswear.

1 comment:

  1. I extend my heartfelt gratitude for generously sharing this invaluable information with us. I'm genuinely excited about delving further into the realm of affordable men's basketball shoes. Your contributions are immensely appreciated, and I eagerly await the continuation of this insightful sharing journey. Please, do keep the flow of information coming our way!
    Mens Cowboy Boots on Sale

    ReplyDelete