Tuesday, September 1, 2009

"Let the Right One In" -- Best Vampire Movie Ever!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let_the_Right_One_In

The above link is a synopsis of the movie and the novel it is based on.

This past Friday, I finally got to watch on DVD the critically acclaimed Swedish film (2008) based on the Swedish novel (vampire fiction) published in 2004. I didn't hear about this movie last year; I don't know, I must have had my head buried in dirt for me to not know about this film. Thanks to a co-worker for recommending this film to me and a classmate's accolades of this film to prompt me to rent the DVD -- finally.

Wow, I haven't seen anything this good in a while. Every two or three years, I get to see a film this good. "Let the Right One In" is now my most recent favorite, and I highly recommend it, if you haven't seen it yet. You don't even have to be into vampires to enjoy this film. And yes, it kicks "Twilight"s butt -- the film anyway. I have neither read the books for "Twilight" nor "Let the Right One In," but in my opinion this film has a better story, be it a love, vampire, or survival story. It is a darn good drama.

The cinematography was beautiful too. Some of the most beautiful night shots I have ever seen. I'm also glad that CGI was kept to a minimum, allowing the characters to lead the story/plot and be the focal point (like it is supposed to be) -- not the CGI as what often happens in Hollywood fare.

This Swedish film is and will be a CLASSIC for many years to come. I hope the US version that is supposed to be released in 2010 does justice to the original film and story like "The Ring" did for the Japanese original, "Ringu", another horror/drama that I enjoyed. I will definitely watch the American version in theaters, as I missed the Swedish original on the big screen, but it better be good...

No comments:

Post a Comment